Your boss walks up to you and tells you to make a presentation in 4 days, what is your initial reaction? Is it one of despair? Do you tell them to find someone else or ask for more time to prepare?
If this is your initial reaction, well, you are not alone. The idea of standing in front of an audience, under the scrutiny of every eye in the room can be nerve-wracking. But let’s face it, sooner or later as you move up the ranks, you will need to take the stage, whether to address an intimate crowd (like your team) or to present in front of a large audience (as the Head of the Department).
Public speaking, therefore, becomes an essential skill for any professional. How to speak in public effectively can have a huge impact on a person’s career, as well as their personal life. In today’s times, professionals need to master public speaking skills to be successful in today’s competitive business world. This article will discuss why it is important to learn how to speak in public and the key benefits of professional public speaking.
Why is public speaking skills important?
Public speaking is an essential professional skill that can significantly benefit your career. For starters, it helps with career growth and visibility. Speaking up in meetings and events demonstrates that you are confident in your abilities and an expert in your field. This leads to a better reputation and can help build credibility, as well as demonstrate leadership characteristics.
Moreover, speaking in front of a crowd increases your industry standing and reputation. It shows that you can be trusted to represent the company in a public forum. It also opens the door to more opportunities and growth possibilities.
Lastly, public speaking offers the chance to share expertise, express ideas, and increase creativity. You can leave your stalling ptterns in the past and learn how to transform them and speak fluently and with ease.
In today’s professional world, it is important to master the art of public speaking. Many companies provide workshops or offer internal resources to help build your presentation or public speaking skills.
These classes or seminars may also come from Human Resources departments or conferences. Even if your employer does not offer these services, there are plenty of external programs available to improve your public speaking skills. However it is important to choose a program that is recognized, and provides the highest value for your investment.
We are organizing a 3-day training course titled Professional Public Speaking Skills that helps you become a top-notch, charismatic speaker who expresses her/himself emotionally, engaging and magnetically attracts your audience.
What are the 7 benefits of public speaking?
Public speaking is an essential asset for any professional, as it allows you to effectively capture the attention of your audience and delivers your message in a powerful way. From motivational speeches addressing the company to informational talks within your team, there are numerous advantages that come with engaging in public speaking, and below are seven of them.
- Public speaking is a great tool for motivating senior leaders or your team to see new perspectives that lead to desired changes within the system. When done correctly, your skills as a public speaker can be used to inspire people to positive action.
- It is an effective way of informing people in a captivating manner. Your audience will always be keen to listen to you if your delivery is infused with humor, storytelling and perfectly-timed body language. When you adopt the skills to open up your audience, you can be assured that your message will be at a high level of reception.
- Public speaking skills lead to several career benefits. Professionals who are confident public speakers are more likely to ace interviews, deliver presentations, and convince their boss to give them promotions.
- One of the biggest reasons why teams fail is because of lack of communication and openness. With a skill like public speaking, you have the power to bring people together and build meaningful relationships. It allows you to connect better with colleagues and demonstrate what confident, clear communication looks like.
- As someone with public speaking skills, delivering an effective speech requires research, careful thought and analysis right from your opening line to pique interest and to your closing statement to inspire action. Therefore public speaking not only will refine your communication style, but will position you as a thought guide and a critical thinker.
- As an ambitious professional, honing your public speaking skills will also help develop your leadership skills. Public speaking helps you understand your team or audience better and it teaches you to build rapport and build connections that lead to inspired actions. Essentially Public Speaking Skills are the ingredients for the making of a good leader.
- Does this mean that public speaking skills can improve your networking capabilities? Yes! It will help you confidently attend conferences and networking events to build new business connections that eventually bring new revenue opportunities for your organization.
Overall, public speaking is the doorway that helps professionals reach their full potential.
If you’re keen to learn how to improve your public speaking skills, we cover all this and more during our Professional Public Speaking Skills training course. Click this link to find out more.
Is public speaking for me?
As you have witnessed, public speaking can help you build relationships, communicate effectively, demonstrate expertise, and create a strong reputation in your place of work. It is a skill that can be honed with practice and dedication, and it can help you reach new heights in your career.
But how do you know if public speaking is right for you? If you want to master the art of public speaking, it helps to ask yourself a few key questions.
- Are you done with feeling insecure, and backing down opportunities to show up as a leader?
- Do you want to be more impactful when presenting your ideas to your superiors and team members?
- Do you want to know the art of persuasion – acing job interviews, improving your negotiating skills, or persuading people to take inspired action?
- Are you willing to invest time and do what it takes to be an effective communicator, presenter and public speaker?
If you’ve answered “yes” to any of these questions, then improving your public speaking skills is definitely for you. Investing in a public speaking course like our 3-day training course on Professional Public Speaking Skills is a great way to get started.
Public speaking is not just for the seasoned professional, but for anyone who wants to learn how to communicate effectively with an audience. With practice and dedication, you can learn how to improve public speaking to become the leaders we need in our companies and the professionals we aspire to be.